- I pledge to never make excuses for my dog. If my dog exhibits any behavioral issues, I will address them quickly and consult professionals when needed.
- I pledge to not breed my dog because he/she is “cute”, “nice”, “has a big head”, because I need to pay bills, or any other reason commonly cited by irresponsible breeders. If my dog does not work, compete, or show, I understand that my dog cannot be proven to be worthy of breeding and will take steps to ensure that my dog does not produce any litters.
- I pledge to always make sure my dog is properly, safely, and humanely contained. If my dog ever gets loose, I will figure out how and why and make sure that it cannot happen again.
- I pledge to promote all that is good about this breed without demonizing another because I understand that making claims such as, “x breed bites more than a Pit Bull” only serve to undermine the fact that BSL is wrong because there is NO breed of dog inherently more dangerous than another.
- I pledge to volunteer whenever possible for organizations that are working to protect and preserve our breed and to foster a Pit Bull in need if I am able to.
- I pledge to take seriously the fact that all other American Pit Bull Terriers (and mixes) are often judged on the actions of a few. I pledge to not be one of those owners that causes the rest of us to fear breed bans.
- I pledge to support companies and organizations when I am able that support positive Pit Bull portrayals, such as Land’s End, Woman’s Day Magazine, and R.M. Palmer Candy Company. Conversely, I will not support companies and organizations that have anti-Pit Bull policies, such as PeTA and PetSmart.
- I pledge to set my dog up for success by learning about breed traits.
- I pledge to recognize that there is so much ingrained misinformation about the APBT that I should be open to challenges to things that I think I know and should always research and verify information for myself rather than simply repeating what a few organizations, websites, or “experts” claim to be true.
- I pledge to be an advocate not only for my dog, but for the humans on the other end of the leash as well. As an owner of a Targeted Breed, I realize that we are judged more harshly than other dog owners by an uneducated public. I will view other Pit Bull owners with an open mind so that we can all work together in harmony and unity against those that try on a daily basis to cause the extinction of our beloved American Pit Bull Terriers.
Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.